Monday, December 29, 2008

Angels in the Life of the Believer

"But angels are only servants. They are spirits sent from God to care for those who will receive salvation." Hebrews 1:14

Don't you just love that verse? There was a time when I thought of angels as only being little fairy like creatures with wings and wands, granting wishes or saving someone from disasters. But then I grew up : ) I have definitely aged, but more importantly, my relationship with God has really grown.

Back to the verse: BUT ANGELS ARE ONLY SERVANTS. SENT FROM GOD TO CARE FOR THOSE WHO WILL RECIEVE SALVATION. In the cracks and corners of my small little mind. it says to me that we all are angels, even though we are not physically sitting at the right hand of God getting our "to do" lists. But right here in our temporary home, we are and can be angels.

Remember that old program Touched By an Angel? I only watched it a couple of times because I didn't believe in angels at the time, and thought the whole idea of God making a regular person on earth an angel to do God's work was stupid. But there it is in the Bible. God does take regular people who believe in Him and everything about Him, and uses them to do His will.

We are smack dab in the middle of the holiday season. Christmas has passed, and New Years are right around the corner. I was thinking about this verse and the angels I have actually had come to me over the past few weeks. I was without a car, and an angel offered hers to me to buy. I was going out to lunch with a bunch of friends, and an angel slipped a gift into my knitting bag when I wasn't around. I was purchasing a gift for my son on Craigslist for Christmas, and when I went to pick it up and pay for it, the woman handed it over and said "Merry Christmas, I don't need any money for it, I hope your son enjoys it." and wouldn't take a dime. ANGELS!! They are all over the place!! They are friends, strangers, snowplowers, mailmen, check-out clerks, people in the pews, people on the street. They are believers who is open to Gods voice and will go everywhere God sends them. Angels.

So I want to here your angel stories. Has God placed angels in your path this Christmas season? It is nice to hear how God is using you to be an encouragement to others. GOD BLESS!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Becky and have felt that way about angels for many, many years.... there is a song entitled, "Angels among us" that says it all... Goes something like: Sent down to us from somewhere up above. They come to you and me in our darkest hour.. teach us how to live, show us how to give and guide us with the light of God??? or something like that..you've probably heard it. I have encountered numerous angels..... just recently a girl at work that I knew many years ago and now has come back into my life and works with me, asked me what my grandaughters favorite characters were....I didn't think anything of it....on Christmas eve she came to work with a tied quilt for each of them for Christmas that she had made and APOLOGIZED cause she didn't get the pillows done to go with them.... They are gorgeous (Winnie the Pooh and Dora)... The icing on the cake? She just lost her Mother, daughter crashed up her new car 2 weeks ago, furnace wasn't running, etc... She said it was her therapy making the quilts.. Ironically she use to babysit for my own daughter when she was an infant and she has just recently come back in my life... She is a God send and I have many in my life...
God Bless you and yours as we start on this new adventure of 2009.... Hugs, Cora

Mary said...

I've been thinking about this post for a few days. I love hearing others tell their "Angel" stories, too! It's great to know we have a God who cares what we're going through and sends us helpers. That He also allows us to be helpers is an incredible gift!

I've been going through some stuff (with one of our sons) that at first didn't seem to be "fair"--really what in life is?! Then, I got thinking and did some digging into Scripture and came up with two references about angels that seem to "hit it" for me. Psalm 34:7 tells us that "the angel of the LORD surrounds those that revere Him and protects them.." and Psalm 91:11 says "He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you safe..." Sometimes angels do things that aggravate us, at first. But the action ends up being part of the blessing that results.

If that passing "angel" hadn't called 9-1-1, my walk with Christ might have been neglected even longer than it has been already. My son might never have found his way back to the Lord and further disaster might be lurking. Satan intended to destroy, but that meddling, nosy angel turned it all around and the Lord has brought good out of the thing. Oh, there will be consequences, but we know that when we make bad decisions, we have to ride out what results. The difference is Who we choose to ride it out with!