Thursday, December 4, 2008

Looking Up

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! It was a quiet one for my family. Poor Jason spent it in the hospital with a very bad infection, so he wasn't very happy about being alone for most of the day lying in bed. I went in early that morning, then took him a turkey sandwich and pie that night. Still wasn't the same with Stacey and Jason not with us.

My car didn't pass inspection this week, so it looks like I will have more time to do things that I have been wanting to do. I have been on the road all day - every day, and I am ready to just stay home for a while and work on some Christmas projects. I also have had a chance to catch up on my devotionals.

The one devotional from Greg Laurie that I read this morning really confirmed what I have had to do the past month - looking up. Here is a little of what he wrote:

"I once read about a life-sized granite sculpture of Jesus by a Danish artist named Thors Walden.

Walden sculpted the body of Christ in such a way that you can't see His face from a standing position. Next to the statute, however, is a sign that reads, "If you want to see the face of Jesus, you must sit at His feet."

Sure enough, if you get down at the foot of the statue, you can look up and clearly see the face of Jesus.

There is a great spiritual truth here. If you want to see the face of Jesus, you must sit at His feet."



I LOVE THAT!!! I can't tell you how many conversations I have had over the past few weeks with friends who ask how I am doing, and I tell them "Looking Up".
See whenever I am about to drown in frustrations, disappointments, and everyday stuff that I don't have absolutely no control over, I look up. I look up and I seek His face. I need to know that He is right there and He knows what is happening at that very moment. And just taking those few seconds to sit at His feet gives comfort. I have even suggested to others who are struggling with their own burdens to "just keep looking up, because to look anywhere else, you won't be able to see that Jesus right there ready and waiting to help you up." And Greg's devotional says the same thing only so much better! "If you want to see the face of Jesus, you must sit at His feet."

So that is what I do whenever life gets a little overwhelming. I want to know how you deal with all of the "stuff". How do you cope with the day to day frustrations and junk?
Have you ever tried to just stop for a second and look up? Post your comments.


2 comments:

Mary said...

Poor Jason. I sure hope he's feeling better. As our children "move on" in their lives and begin to "disappear" from our holiday gatherings, it's odd....

I really liked that devotional from Greg Laurie, myself. There are some days that I'm amazed I don't get a stiff neck, I spend so much of it looking up! But, oh nothing can calm me like spending that time at the feet of Jesus. He is the Comforter, after all. Until you've had to take refuge at His feet, sitting in His shadow, you can't really understand what it feels like. That "peace that passes understanding" can literally wash over your soul, leaving behind a calm assurance that all is going to be OK; you can get up and go on about your life, deal with those crises, and know He'll keep you safe and strong.

Becky said...

I don't think there is anything that can create that kind of peace. I know that I would try and find comfort in so many of the wrong places, like food, pulling the blankets over my head, etc. But it wasn't until I finally realized that even if they made me feel better, I was still felt like I was drowning inside. And once I submitted (and admitted) that I needed Him, was when I found true comfort. So now I get a bunch of junk flung at me everyday, but I know that I can look up and see Him watching over the whole situation. I can't handle the junk but He can, and that alone is a undeserving grace.