Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Facebook - Good or Bad?

Facebook (FB), are you on it yet? If not, I am sure you have received a gazillion requests to be a friend to someone. I started my own FB page because my children convinced me that I would be able to see what they are doing all day. What mother doesn't want to know what their children are doing at all times?

It has been a month since I plastered myself on FB and I have 56 friends already. Who would have guessed that I even knew that many people. Honestly, half of our FB friends are people that you don't ordinarily talk to, they are just acquaintances. And it is nice to have an acquaintance ask you to be their friend, giving you the "key" to the door of their life.

So is it good that we are better able to communicate with people and learn more about them and their lives? Or will FB become the only avenue we use to reach out to our friends? Jesus says in John 15: 12-14 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you." Do you believe that He meant for us to just drop a post online and you are obeying this commandment? Hmmmm.

I know the jury is still out for me. I have found that since I have been on FB, I am not calling people to check on them as much because I just have to go on and see what they have written. I have noticed that I can see where my time with God is decreasing and FB time increasing, so FB is becoming a stumbling block for me, which means that I need to step away from the computer more. But in the same breath, when I am on FB and able to see what is going on with my 56 friends. Not because I am nosey, but through their FB posts I am more aware of their joys and heartaches and can then contact them. Yes, there is a whole lot of goofing around on FB, but in my circle of friends, it is a fun kind of goofing.

So you tell me your thoughts about FB - good or bad and why. Am I keeping His commandment via FB, or am I just trying to convince myself something that isn't true? I know most of you posts on FB - but post here this time!

Blessings,
Becky

4 comments:

Lue said...

I honestly find FB to be a useful tool to share God's love and shine of Jesus. I live out of state and I am unable to see and phone as often as I would like so FB gives me that opportunity. I look forward to checking my FB account because it is just my particular friends and it is user friendly. In my opinion, it is GOOD!

Wendy K-T said...

I have mixed feelings too. On one hand, a lot of my extended family is on Facebook, so we are communicating a lot more. That's a good thing. On the other hand, a lot of my 274 friends are teenagers and I am learning a lot of things about them that they might, otherwise, not want me to know. I think they forget that they have friended me (an adult). I don't actively seek out this info, but it shows up on MY homepage--especially with the new FB set up. I don't really mind knowing these things but I am concerned that they will worry about me knowing or about what I might tell their parents (once they realize that I can see what they are putting on their FB homepage). That raises another dilemma: what SHOULD I be telling their parents?

Becky said...

I know that I am one of those mom's who checks Jareds text messages once a day. And I have found that the girls are much more advanced at 14 than the boys. And they say things that I would kill my son if he ever said that to a girl! I think knowledge is good when it comes to teenagers. He knows I will be checking his cell phone and his myspace page, not because I want to scream and yell, but so I can be sure that he isn't getting the morals of an ass.

I do like being able to find old schoolmates and relatives, but I can't say that I haven't taken the opportunity to do anything good with it. I need to start being a LueAnn!

Mary said...

Well, I'm a "late-comer" to Facebook and have no idea whatsoever about how it works, but I now know where some of you are!

Any tool we can use to "spread the Gospel to all the world" is a good one. I find, though that my communications have become very impersonal (even before FB). A handwritten note or a phone call once in a while is a nice touch. But then I am older and more technology-ignorant than most...

What I need to be wary of, and it sounds like Becky does too, is how much time I spend on things OTHER THAN my relationship with God. I get caught up in the thing of the moment and before long, He's getting less and less of me. Then my life starts to get that "stink" to it.

Wendy, you have to feel like a "voyeur" sometimes with the things kids are sending to you. Because it does open a new dimension to what you know, that moral dilemma of what to protect and what to expose is right there.

Would I hesitate to monitor my kids (like Becky does with Jared)? Coming at it from the point where my kids are grown and I now hear things that went on, I gotta say monitor them as closely as you can! Kids are getting exposed to so much at such early ages, you have to be diligent.

The jury is still out with me and my relationship with FB, I'll have to let you know ;-). In the meantime, keep on shining for Jesus on there, LueAnn!